Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reflection on "Key Findings" of Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8- to 18-year-olds


While reading Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8- to 18-year-olds, I did not find the results of the study surprising.  As a classroom teacher myself, I see and hear about the amount of time my own 4th grade students spend using various media devices.  I would estimate that over half of the students in my classroom have their own cell phones that they mostly use for gaming and taking pictures, yet not necessarily for making phone calls.  Almost every student in my classroom also owns either a personal gaming system like a PS2, an mp3 player like an iPod, or both.  My feelings in connection with both the article and my actual experience with students using multiple media devices are mixed.  I definitely think that students are growing and learning during an era when the use of multiple media devices is a necessity.  However, as briefly mentioned in the “Key Findings” section, it is evident that students are also loosing appreciation for tried and true learning materials like books, magazines, etc.  Why would a student use an actual dictionary, when they can just access the Dictionary application on their iPod touch?  I understand that with technology becoming more of staple in our everyday lives, it is necessary and evident that some resources are not being used as frequently.  Nevertheless, I don’t think that materials will become obsolete and simple exposure to, for example, print materials, is equally important for students.  I was happy to see the portion of the study that included data concerning light, moderate, and heavy users in connection with the grades students are earning, how they feel about themselves, their families, etc.  I’m hoping that my students this year, as well as future students, will have parents that have set rules in regards to the use of media devices in the home.  In my opinion, students that struggle and lack focus when it comes to school work, should not be enabled at home to apply that focus in connection with a media device.  I am well aware that this is easier said than done.  However, with anything, students thrive when they are given boundaries.  Therefore, when it comes to the use of media devices in my own classroom, I currently employ and will continue to employ rules according to usage.  Technology and media devices are there to enrich, improve, and engage students while learning the content within the curriculum.  Media devices should not be used as a parent’s or teacher’s babysitter with the assumption that learning will simply be gained through “screen time.”  

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you mentioned "rules" regarding technology usage. I think this the one thing that I know I sometimes forget to establish before getting started especially with the use of a new technology. What I have done in the past was to ask the computer teacher or other teachers who have used the particular technology what rules or things need to be establish before we start using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your rules comment, too, and the comment that rules for personal technology use (especially cell phones) in the classroom needs to be added to the list of classroom rules (if not already part of the school's rules) reviewed at the start of the school year.

    You also make an important point that one should not make the assumption that screen time is always learning time.

    Regarding print and other resources, I think the pressures of budgets may push schools that have already made a big investment in technology abandon print media, which would be too bad. I have to say I rarely go to a printed dictionary now, but I also have fond feelings for them, and liked seeing the other words on the page.

    jd

    jd

    ReplyDelete